Well I’m scrapping these damn guitars!
Oh, I mean scraping. And by scraping, I mean I just did that this morning. I guess it is April fools, and I have yet to fool anyone…ever.
I’ll skip my lengthy process commentary for the most part and summarize.
- made the end grafts and inlayed them, just hand tools here
- I bent and put on the purfling
- bent, mitered, notched and glued on the binding
- scraped flush
So these are done until its time to attach the necks, which I haven’t started yet. Obviously they need to be sanded, but thats pretty much the last step prior to finishing. I must say this was a difficult binding job. I mitered every corner, minus the top of the cutaway at the soundboard, which will be hidden by the neck.
I used hot hide glue for all of this. There were some really worried moments, when I thought I had gaps too big to fix. I blame this on the hefty curve I put on the backs. This is where the hide glue was awesome, a little steam and spot clamping fixed it all up. Really turned what could have been a disaster into my tightest binding job so far. I will definitely use hot hide glue for this from here on out.
Overall I’m happy with these as far as looks go. I love the maple and I think the tones in the walnut and cherry trim are a good compliment to the ambrosia stripes. I’m hoping they sound good. Its been a while, but these sound pretty resonant when tapped. When the music is turned up in the shop, they grab some of those frequencies and speak to me a bit too.
Alright. Necks are next.